A Day in the Life of a Home Health Aide
The in-home senior care industry is booming and many people looking for rewarding careers in caregiving are considering becoming home health aides. But what is this role really all about? What could you expect on a typical day? Is it the right fit for you? Our senior independent home care specialists offer some insight that may help you determine the answers.
Typical Duties as a In Home Senior Care Provider
As a home health aide for seniors, you’ll be assisting older adults with a wide range of daily activities. This type of care is tailored to the specific needs of the individual you’re caring for, so they may cover a wide range of activities, including:
- Light housekeeping such as washing dishes, doing laundry, etc. Please note, however, that this role does not include performing heavy housework.
- Organizing a client’s schedule (arranging doctors’ appointments, etc.).
- Grocery shopping and meal preparation.
- Arranging transportation for errands and appointments.
- Personal hygiene (bathing, dressing and toileting, etc.).
- Assistance with ambulation and feeding.
- Communicating with family members about care and care requirements.
- Providing companionship.
The extent to which a client requires these services depends on their health condition and specific needs.
Work Hours and Environment
Work will primarily take place in the client’s home and the hours are determined by the tailored care they receive, including:
- Respite care – Assisting family caregivers on a temporary basis, providing post-hospitalization care, etc.
- Part-time care – Caregiving on a regular basis for a set number of hours per day or days per week.
- Live-in care – Providing non-medical care on a full-time basis to seniors as an alternative to moving into assisted living communities.
United Methodist Communities Senior Independent Home Care – Where Compassion is Part of the Job
Whether you need part-time residential in home senior care in NJ or need someone qualified and experienced to assist your loved one on a more permanent basis, our HomeWorks program is here to help. Our team is dedicated to playing a positive and compassionate role in the lives of seniors and are trained and selected for their ability to enhance the security, wellbeing and state-of-mind. Our staff are fully certified in New Jersey and have extensive senior care training and experience, so please feel free to ask for formal certification and references.
For more information on our home health aide services in NJ, please contact us today or visit our website at https://homeworks.umcommunities.org/home-health-aide-services/