5 Great Ways to Honor Veteran’s Day!
November 11th, a very important day for many Americans and their families, is a wonderful opportunity to remember and thank the men and women who have served our country. For seniors, this is an especially important day, so our home care services team is sharing their best tips for helping your senior loved one honor this day:
- Display the flag. While many Americans already do this, it is an especially poignant activity on this special day. Where you fly the flag, or the size of the flag is up to you, but the most important thing is that your loved one gets a chance to participate.
- Visit a VA facility. If your loved one is fairly mobile and up to a busier day, then why not visit a VA hospital or assisted living community? It’s a good opportunity to show your support or even share memories. They may offer events that you can participate in or you could even bake a few treats together that will brighten a patient’s day!
- Pay respects. If your loved one knew veterans who have passed away, then one good idea is to visit their gravesite and pay your respects. Take the time to talk about the person who has passed and thank them for their service with a poppy or token you can place at the site.
- Visit a veteran. If there are any elderly veterans in your neighborhood, then this is the perfect opportunity to visit and thank them in person. It’s a good idea to make up a few care or treat packages together to drop off when you visit. It’s also a great way to reconnect with neighbors and build those essential connections that keep isolation at bay.
- Take part in local activities. Check out local community, town and state websites to find out what’s planned for Veteran’s Day in your area. The usual list includes parades, choirs, memorial ceremonies, the Battleship ceremony and much more.
Aging in Place – Qualified Home Care Services in New Jersey
At United Methodist Communities, we strive to offer high-quality home care services in New Jersey through our HomeWorks program. This program assists the elderly in the comfort of their own homes and provides them, their families and caregivers with personalized, compassionate care that prioritizes health, happiness and independence.
For more information on our at home care agency or our senior homecare services, please contact us today or visit our website at https://homeworks.umcommunities.org/elderly-home-health-care-nj/